View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 05:17 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 7 weights....why no love?

I grew up on 8'6" and then 9' 5-weights, and they were fine for teh rivers and trout I was fishing for - I was content.

When I wanted a smaller/ lighter rod for tight streams and generally 12" and smaller wild browns, I went with a 7'6" 3 weight. A 4-weight wasn't as light as I wanted.

Time goes by and my interest shifted to large nocturnal browns and I accidently discovered river run smallies. Bugs I was throwing for both (big trout streamers, generally weighted) were a bit much for my 5-weight and I wasn't happy with how long it was taking me to get the fish in and release it. Bumping up was the option. A 6-weight wasn't quiet enough, so I went with a 7. The 7 was actually a bit difficult to find in a 2 piece. Am very happy with how my 7-weight throws a cat toy on a stiff short leader at the range I am fishing.

Big question to me for years: Am I on the heavy side of the light tackle folks who are 2, 4, 6 weight people or am I on the light side of of the heavier tackle folks who are throwing 4, 6 and 8 compared to my 3, 5, 7? End result to me is that I don't care, because I am effective enough to keep myself well entertain and still have puzzles to solve and the tools to solve them with. Really wish I could have found a 10' 7-weight though.