View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly questions, Where are the pictures?

I'm with both Silver and Ard. I have tried in recent years to make sure I have a fly in the fish's mouth when I take a pic, but most of the time I'm trying to get a quick pic without stressing the fish too much so it can go back in the water to be caught another day.

As for how they were fished, it doesn't much matter since the fish where you are will see things in a different light in their waters. Search this forum for dry fly rigs, nymph rigs, multiple nymph rigs, dry-dropper rigs, etc., etc. and you will find an abundance of how-to's. Even the particular pattern of Pheasant-tail nymph I use in my favorite spring creek may not work where you are. Experimentation, investigation and time on the water will answer most of your questions, but the pictures posted here won't go very far in finding solutions to your home waters.

But, since you asked, here are a few:

Don't get so focused on the drake mayfly spinner that you miss the PT nymph I was using that day:
Click the image to open in full size.

A similar nymph to the one you saw on my rod before is now stuck in the lower jaw of this nice spring creek brown:

The reliable and consistent bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail nymph from another viewpoint:

How about a butt-ugly streamer:

A dry flav mayfly:

I catch the majority of my fish subsurface with a three-nymph rig under an indicator. One of my three nymphs is usually a size 14 bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail nymph like this one:

Good luck!

Kelly.