View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I must be doing this wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
I tried a Clouser and a Deciever without success. Does a steady retrieve work best, or a jerky one? (The one snapper I caught took a shrimp pattern.)
Until you figure out what's working, you need to try every retrieve you can think of.
Gamefish in the surf expect to see bait fish trying to escape. Make sure that the fish sees the fly and then try and take it away from them.
Crabs and shrimp do the opposite. They'll try to hide and sink to the bottom.

Alot of times a steady retrieve is best, but Clouser minnows are jig flies. If you're not letting them sink a bit between strips, then you might as well be using something different. Most of the time the fish will hit when it's sinking and there's no tension on the line, so be ready.