View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Pictures of The Fish;

This first picture, I hope, will explain why I thought the fish were huge.
Click the image to open in full size.

The big problem was trying to get the whole fish in the picture.

Due to the low return numbers on kings many of our rivers are C&R with the stipulation that the fish "must be immediately released and not removed from the water". When you're alone and using a 13' Spey rod this presents some difficulty when you try to get photos.

They all raised quite a fuss and I tried to get one while it was in the air. That was not easy either.

This spot is a pool / run combo sort of place. The whole of the water is about 80 feet wide with the current running against the far bank. You cast about 65' or so from a near shore position and guide the fly across the current.

It is a good place to find a big trout and this is what I was using.

The fly is my version of a bunny fur sculpin. I tied it on a Senco Shank with a small stinger hook trailing on a bunny strip. The little eyes are hot glued together and are plastic. The flies look pretty fishy when they are swimming along and I've been catching trout on them.

Here's another one being released. It would have been cool if someone had been along, there could have been better pictures.

I think this was the second one, you can see the fly in his upper jaw.

This was perhaps the fattest one because it is a hen. I brought her in fast and let her go with little fanfare.

I don't know how many were in this run but I did see 2 more roll and flop up stream from me. After the triple, which was achieved in 6 casts I decided to move on. That may sound strange but once you've gotten 3 you may start to feel some guilt. They can do without the stress of being caught. The fact that I dropped the point & shoot in the river helped too. Why bother them when all I wanted was a picture and that was over for the day.

Someday I will have a video camera and someone along to operate it. You may be amazed at how quickly these fish can be landed. I'm going to guess I got them each to shore around 5 - 6 minutes. I'm sure that for them it seemed an eternity. The trick in this spot is to keep them calm. If they run about 100 feet down stream they will get into the tail out of the pool / run and into the swift water that drops down for about 200 yards. I've had fish get into that and that's how I learned not to have that happen.

The trout I caught after dunking my camera may have bee 21 or 22 inches. I've ordered one of Nomad's composite Guide nets which has a 27" scale on the handle. That will be helpful

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 07-03-2013 at 09:30 PM.