View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 AM

thechroniclesofmasi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: I must be doing this wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by half fast View Post
I'll probably go to Honeymoon again next time I go, but I doubt if it'll be this weekend due to the holiday crowds. I'd like to get into some trout, and I've been told Honeymoon is a good trout location. I'm not sure what tide condition I shoud try for, or how much it matters. Also not sure about weather or time of day.

Yesterday the tide was running out while I was there, but where I was fishing was largely dictated by wind conditions. Maybe a different spot would've been better with that tide.

I quit fishing about 3:00 when some thunderstorms started moving in. I would have liked to fish longer, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of standing in the ocean waving a rod while lightning is in the area.

My local fly shop recommended a shrimp pattern for trout, but I've also been told to try a topwater popper when the water is murky.

With the shrimp pattern, I've been letting it sink, then retrieving it with short (4" to 6") jerks. I've tried using a steady retrieve with Clousers and Deceivers, as well as short strips with pauses.

Any suggestions you can offer will be appreciated.

Trout = trout do pass honeymoon isl during migrations to the gulf, however right now with water temps in the 80's they start out shallow and by 10am they are set up in 8-15 feet of grass bottom flats. You wont find trout right now wading. I mean you can but not consistently.

Honeymoon Isl is known for their large snook, just Google those two things and you will get all sorts of tips. None of the tips will give you any help with fly fishing because predominantly live bait is used.

If you not over grass or under a dock a shrimp pattern will not do too well.

In Florida when the water gets in the 80's "most" (people will argue) shallow water species, from 10am - 6pm will be in a deep hole, under a dock, under mangroves, or on a deep shady sea wall. Just think where you go when you get hot? That is where they go. The only way to get a good bite going during the heat is to live chum. Which is not a fly type of tactic.

Top water wont get too much action after sun-up in the summer.

So the moral to this story is that from shore, or wading is not very productive when the water is this hot. You can catch fish but nothing on fly that you wont have to work for. (like 1,000 casts)

This is the same for all of your other posts regarding areas like Fort De-Soto, and encompassing areas.

Getting a canoe or kayak is the cheapest way to find some deeper shady areas to fish in the summer for the fly guy's like us.

Now there is a lot more to this area but I get sick of typing so I'm cutting this short.

There are not many anglers on this forum in this area so I will check for your post and try to help the best I can.