View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Book And Its Cover... Reconsidered...

In life, as in all else, everything has what I like to call a "carrying capacity," a rating system of the "loads/burdens" that can be piled on without threatening the fine balance that we strive for on a daily basis. Last night, a man whose "personal redemption" I once questioned, found himself dangerously close to his tipping point. This morning, he dropped me an e-mail...

As most of you will remember, the man who was the catalyst for this thread pushed a few buttons along our stretch of the river, the immediate result being a quick, and some might say "harsh," condemnation. The rush to judgment soon was tempered as his story unfolded over the coming days, and he and his sons became the most unlikely sources of hope imaginable.

Today, that change in mindset in his household has been threatened by something that me and mine know all too well-- cancer. He and his wife found out yesterday that she has a form of breast cancer, and it was obvious by his e-mail that the weight of the news is literally crushing him.

So, I've issued an invitation for an evening of riverside "fish talk," where no subject is off-limits. When we meet tomorrow-- we being my retired chief oncologist, "Doc," me and the man in question --we will take to the porch next to the river and let him vent. Once finished, "Doc" then can work his magic of knowledge, as I'm told that the cancer in question is very treatable and has a very high survival rate. Rather than forcing the man to listen to my ham-handed explanation, the details will carry more credence coming from "Doc."

The art of a good life and living it well brings with it no shortage of challenges, sometimes causing one to re-write the occasional chapter. I'm only hoping-- and praying a bit --that our "chat" tomorrow evening will help the man continue his journey toward writing the best of books, for both him and his family...