View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: WTF Happened to My Wraps?

My guess is that this may have been the first wrap done, meaning it got the thread from the top of the spool. The thread itself may have been moist / damp. The under layers of thread from the spool used on the other wraps may have been drier.

The second thing that I have seen that will cause this is if you apply multiple coats of finish before the first coat is thoroughly dry. During the curing process various solvents and a very small percentage of moisture rise to the surface of most finishes as the chemical reaction that we call drying takes place. If we apply a second coat before the solvents and etc have completely dried we trap them beneath the second coat.

This can happen with the finish on the heads of salmon & streamer flies also.

Ard

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

I saw the 'Like' on that Auntie Em,

Do you think that's a possibility? have you ever had the problem with rushed second coats?

I've had it happen and should have known better. I ran a restoration business for many years and we dis a lot of historical work. It was very important to allow coats of varnish - lacquer - or polyurethane to dri fully between coats or you could have this 'milky' appearance happen to finished wood surfaces too.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;