View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM

slepe67 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Intro: From Florida Panhandle

Hey all, just learning how to fly fish. The learning curve is steep with me.

For a newbie to fly fishing, I've found that there aren't a lot of folks in my area that fly fish, so I'm forced to learn via internet. Every time I hit "Search", this forum comes up, so I figured it was time to sign up and fire off my intro.

Long story short: grew up in Montana and always wanted to learn, but the old man is a spin fisher (which bores me immensely).

I've been stationed in Florida (east of Pensacola) for 10 years and the fly fishing bug just bit me hard!

Started off with a 9/5 freshwater combo, looking for bass and trout up the streams/creeks of Eglin Range. Then, while kayaking up a stream, ran into 2 gators, 2 weekends straight. I know the gators PROBABLY wont mess with me, but what if they mess with my CATCH? Time for saltwater, I'll do the freshwater stuff in the winter!

Just bought a 9/8 saltwater setup. Tons of saltwater flats around my area, between Destin and Pensacola, so might as well figure it out.

The plan is to do some kayaking, wading and maybe even using a 6 foot ladder.

I'll be in here reading a LOT, and asking (stupid) questions if I can't find answers.

Retiring from the military and moving back to Western Montana in 3 years; so I'll get to learn how to fish THERE when it happens.

Anywho, look forward to learning from everyone in here.

See you around!