View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can I see some midge variations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
I am pretty new to tying, but I love tying midges. I like the fact that I can tie a very effective fly only using a bead, thread, wire, and occasional some peacock. I mainly tie different colors of zebra midges and brassies, but I am always looking for new variations or color combinations. Also, if anybody ties anything with two different colors of wire, I would love to see those, and a brief explanation of how you tie them. I mainly tie them in size 18. Thanks
Might I suggest looking at Combo Thread from Cascade Crest rather than two colors of wire:

Combo Threads

This allows one to tie really small patterns of Midges and get the segmentation effect that is so desirable...

Click the image to open in full size.

C-THREAD MIDGE - Red/Black …

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12-B, #18 – #20

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, Black – under Abdomen

SHUCK: 1 strand UV Pearl Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN: Combo Thread, Red/Black 6/0, Cascade Crest

THORAX: Iridescent Peacock Herl, Black, Spirit River

BEAD: Tungsten, Black – Sized to hook

Click the image to open in full size.

YELLOW/BROWN SOFT HACKLE MIDGE…

HOOK: Alec Jackson Soft Hackle Trout Fly Hook – #17

THREAD – UNDER ABDOMEN: Tiemco 16/0, Brown

ABDOMEN: Combo Thread, Yellow/Brown – Cascade Crest

SHUCK: Three short strands Midge rainbow Flash – Cascade Crest

THORAX: #.83 Pheasant Tail Emergence Dubbing – Nature’s Spirit

HACKLE: AAA Starling, Dyed Olive

Super Hair and Fluoro Fiber are two other materials that can be wrapped in this manner...Check Charlie Craven's Fly Box for his JuJu series of Midges

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/