View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Winston has ruined me!!

Last winter I built my first rod. It was a little 3wt Winston GVX. Yesterday me and my cousin went fishing and I was having a blast with the rod landing the trout. (Also first trout I have taken on the rod.) I just love how nicely it casts it casts so nicely I just cant even describe it.

Went out this morning to do a little bass fishing with my 5wt St Croix Triumph. Boy oh boy do I not like that rod anymore. I put it away and pulled out the Winston and went after the blue gills.

I cant afford to buy another winston and I dont have the tools or time left this summer to build one. Looks like their price has gone up about $70.

Anyone reccomend a 9' 5wt fly rod in the sub $300 range that might cast and feel remotely close to the Winston?
Not sure what I want to do yet. I either want to replace my 5wt or look into getting set up for steel head because its a 2 hour drive from where Im going to school to prime steelhead country.
Could $300 get me a rod/reel that will hold up to steelheading?

Thanks all!