Thread: Old or New ?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Old or New ?

My tenkara rods are a far cry from the old cane pole, even the bamboo rod my Dad gave me. Even the modern flyrods of today. It's nothing like a Crappy Rod... I like it because it's light and compact.... casts fly nicely in small streams, big trout rivers, ponds, lakes, even the saltwater.

For instance, while floating the Madison or Yellowstone rivers for 5 days your arms get very tired from mending the line with a 5WT rod. With a tenkara rod, I can keep only the little grasshopper and a foot or so of leader in the water and also cast with either hand.

In the lake we work the shoreline casting from the boat toward the grass and brush. The light tenkara rods give you a great fight when you hook into a small bass or bluegill... and a real challenge when you hook a 2 pound peacock bass.

On those ankle deep Alaska streams loaded with spawning salmon... The tenkara is so much fun catching those under a pound rainbows, dollies, cutthroat, and grayling... Pure Fun.

My 9 year old grand daughter was casting like a champ after 10 minutes of instruction... it's easy to use these rods.

I'm off to the Scout Jamboree in West Virginia... I can stick 2 tenkara rods in my carry on bag along with a zip-loc sandwitch bag of all tackle I'll need for 2 weeks.

Tenkara is just plain fun, I highly recommend it to anyone.