View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Re: BIG Bass fly casting help

The 7wt and 8wt are probably ideal for any BIG bass bugs, but 6wt can handle up to size 2/0 with double hauling. I have the Redington Predator 6wt 7'10" with Rio 6wt Power Fly line for small water or pond fishing. With that setup 40-50ft is my max accuracy. I don't think you need a bass tapered line, a Rio outbound will help to cast large bugs but again you don't need it either. Learn to double haul and know when to open your loop. If you are worry about turning over the big bugs, you can use your old trout leader, cut it to 4-5FT length from the butt, make a loop and you have your bass tapered leader or get Aiflo Polyleader 4FT for bass/pike, use heavier tippet for dense cover.

That Predator setup is also my trout and carp rod and basically my go to rod. That 6wt made me sold my 5wt and 7ft actually.