View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod for Turks and Caicos

I am assuming that you are targeting bonefish.

A six weight could be used for bonefish in mild conditions. I would only recommend it if you were targeting smaller ones (less than two pounds). You would also need a reel that has more than 100 yards backing capacity. Keep in mind that you can obtain more capacity by using thin super braided line. The reel must have a great drag, as well. I would not trust an average trout reel up against a bonefish.

A seven or an eight weight would be a good call. My preference is for an eight weight just in case the wind picks up.

I have never been a big fan of lower price pointed packages for saltwater. Usually the Achilles' heel of the rig is the reel. I cannot comment on the reel in the package, but I have seen some package reels fail in saltwater environments. Most package reels in that price point are just oversized trout reels.

If you are trying to stay under $200, Redington sells a Pursuit saltwater outfit. I'm still not a huge fan of it, but I like it better than the SA outfit. The rod casts much better than the SA rod. The reel is a large arbor rather than an old school standard arbor. The line is a Rio Mainstream Saltwater line.

If you must go for any premade outfit, make sure to do the following.

1. Before you go on your trip, retie the connection between backing and the fly line. I recommend making a Double Blood Knot on the backing. Make a whipped finished loop on the back end of the fly line. Do a loop to loop connection between the two. I would tie a butt section of .024" monofilament. Put a Perfection Loop on the terminal end of butt section. Connect your leader to the butt section with a loop to loop connection.

2. After a day of fishing, give your rig a thorough rinsing. This will flush any sand out. Plus it will wash away any saltwater.

Good luck on your search.

Dennis