View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default My Helios broke last week!

The tip (near the end of the rod) broke off last week while I was fishing for 'gills in my fave lake. I'm not sure what happened? I was casting close to shore and maybe it hit a twig during the cast?

Anyway ......... Orvis is the best company for rod repair (asked no questions at all!), they gave me a fix number and I mailed it FedEx.

I've had that rod for three years now. I've caught trout, smallmouth, bluegills, crappie, perch, and even a carp!...... I must have caught 10,000 fish with that rod and never a prob? I fish my Helios about 99% of the time I go fishing! I love that rod!

Well, I could use my Sage 5wt or go with a 3wt Cabelas PT. The PT is a 7' rod, 2 pc, and it seems pretty light. I put my Orvis LA on the rod with the same 3wt line I always use.

Wow!! what a terrible piece of junk! The crappy 7' rod won't cast nearly as far as the 8'4" Helios! The stupid thing feels "reel heavy" won't turn over the line with a tungsten bead head fly?

Next time, I'll try my Sage Fli 9' 5wt? Or, now that the rain stopped, I just might purchase a 7wt Helios 2 and go for the abundant carp in the lower Susquehanna!

Pic of the PT in my float tube:
Click the image to open in full size.