What fly reel are you currently using you your Sage ONE 990 - or any newer lighter 9' 9 wt. for that matter.
I've been thinking about the following options:
- Abel Super 6/3N Standard Arbor. Can get plenty of 20# on it to accomodate. Owned.
- Abel Super 7 Large Arbor. Would probably have to consider gelspun backing as it's rated for 8/175 20#. Owned.
- Use the Super 7 and get a L.A. Spool - 9/275 20# - Purchase consideration for spool. Own the Super 7.
- Abel Super 9 - Extremely tempting purchase consideration.
- Hatch Finatic 9+ Never fished one but have read great things about them.
- Nautilus NV8/9 - Really like the looks of these reels and they also get great reviews.
I've looked at the Hardy Fortuna but nice as it seems, I simply don't want to drop that kind of coin on a Korean made reel. I own a Loop Reel, and I paid big money for that reel made in Korea. I love it. But I don't want to do it again.
Obviously I'm an Abel guy and use them almost exclusively on my big game sticks, with the exception of a back up Lamson. The Abel's in the 001 color are also darn tempting but that only adds to an already expensive reel.
I'm leaning heavily to using the 3N I already own, or purchasing the Super 9. The 3N is awfully narrow at .70 - is it too narrow for a 9 wt. line?
The rod was a pretty significant outlay, I'm not sure if I want to go any further at least initially on a spend.
Interested in your thoughts and opinions.