Thread: Sage One 990
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Sage One 990

What fly reel are you currently using you your Sage ONE 990 - or any newer lighter 9' 9 wt. for that matter.

I've been thinking about the following options:

• Abel Super 6/3N Standard Arbor. Can get plenty of 20# on it to accomodate. Owned.
  • Abel Super 7 Large Arbor. Would probably have to consider gelspun backing as it's rated for 8/175 20#. Owned.
  • Use the Super 7 and get a L.A. Spool - 9/275 20# - Purchase consideration for spool. Own the Super 7.
  • Abel Super 9 - Extremely tempting purchase consideration.
  • Hatch Finatic 9+ Never fished one but have read great things about them.
  • Nautilus NV8/9 - Really like the looks of these reels and they also get great reviews.
I've looked at the Hardy Fortuna but nice as it seems, I simply don't want to drop that kind of coin on a Korean made reel. I own a Loop Reel, and I paid big money for that reel made in Korea. I love it. But I don't want to do it again.

Obviously I'm an Abel guy and use them almost exclusively on my big game sticks, with the exception of a back up Lamson. The Abel's in the 001 color are also darn tempting but that only adds to an already expensive reel.

I'm leaning heavily to using the 3N I already own, or purchasing the Super 9. The 3N is awfully narrow at .70 - is it too narrow for a 9 wt. line?
The rod was a pretty significant outlay, I'm not sure if I want to go any further at least initially on a spend.

Interested in your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers,
Mike.

Last edited by chi flyfisher; 07-10-2013 at 07:39 PM.