Thread: Sage One 990
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sage One 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Good Morning Mike-

We clearly share tastes in reels- Sage 500 series and Abels, plus I totally understand the hesitance to spend big coin on an overseas product. The Abel Super 9/10N at 8.5 ounces looks like a great option, I like the diameter.

But... I have been lusting after a Billy Pate anti reverse here lately and the Bonefish model is a very worthy consideration, especially for GL steelhead and salmon.

Russell
Agreed Russell. And if I must say, you have great taste in reels

I'm actually looking at the Super 9 vs. the Super 9/10N. The Super 9 is actually a fraction of an ounce lighter and the spool just a tad wider by .05 inch. It's also a tad smaller in diameter by .05 inch. But the pricing comparison between the two is pretty significant and the amount of "stated" backing is exactly the same at 225 20#. The 9 can be had for a couple hundred less than the 9/10N, which, of course, I can use to justify the purchase should I end up going that route.

I've thought about A/R reels, but have never actually gone in that direction before. I think I'd really want to fish one and spend time on the water with one before I dropped some money on a reel that seems like a pretty drastic change in the "traditional" fly reels I've always used.

Cheers,
Mike.