View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Railroad Ranch on the 4th - FIREWORKS!

A good friend and I hit the upper section of the RR Ranch on the afternoon of the 4th. We met up at the poarking lot at Last Chance where my wife asked if I wanted to take my wading jacket with me. I told her no since the sun was bright and beating down on us. She won out and convinced me to take it along - I'm sure glad I followed her advice!

By the time Tom and I got geared up and headed out there were clouds overhead. By the time we were downriver a quarter mile the wind was whipping and we felt the first drops. We decided to sit and wait it out as it looked to be short lived. An hour later, after furious winds, hail, rain, sleet and more and more rain by the bucketful, the storm finally subsided. We moved our rods a way away from us due to the lightning and thunder that accompanied the storm.

About 10 minutes after the storm abated, we saw the first bugs on the water - flav duns. 10 minutes after that the fish were up and we found ourselves the only ones on the river for almost an hour. What a hoot! Too many hookups and lost fish to count, also a fair amount of misses. In the end we were both able to bring fish to hand, but the overall experience with the storm, the bugs, and the rising fish all over made it worth just being on the river this day.

Here are some pics:

The calm before the storm:
Click the image to open in full size.

The fury during the storm:

And, the calm following the storm: