View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 08:36 AM

buckslayer50 is on a distinguished road
Default St. Augustine Beginner

Hello all, my name is Garrett and I am born and raised in St. Augustine, Florida. A few years ago when I was around sixteen years old I saw a deal on a fly fishing(9' 8wt Gander Mountain Guide Series I believe) pole combo in gander mountain I couldn't pass up(it turned out to be mispriced but they gave it to me for what was on the sticker), so I bought it because I had always been somewhat interested in learning how to fly fish. Well, turns out I didn't know anyone who fly fished and it's not super popular in my neck of the woods, so it kind of fell by the wayside and I haven't touched the pole in years. Well, I'm 23 now and recently the bug has bitten me hard and I decided I dont need anyone else to do it with me or any relatives/locals to teach me, I am gonna go it on my own and learn from online and good old fashioned practice!

Basically I have been watching a lot of casting technique videos on youtube, practicing casting my gander mountain pole in my yard, and taking my crappy $40 wal mart panfish set to a local pond and trying to practice my casting(which is pretty awful actually, I plan on upgrading my lightweight outfit soon if I continue to progress). I kind of just wanted to know how you guys would suggest getting started and if you knew what bites good in my area on fly. I am going to Marathon for two weeks in August and want to get some serious saltwater practice in while im there, maybe catch some mangrove snapper or something if I am lucky. Thanks for any help you guys give me, I am super excited to start learning and improving over the next few years and hopefully starting a new type of fishing in my family I can pass down to my kids and grandkids.