View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM

buckslayer50 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: St. Augustine Beginner

Thank you very much for the reply and all the useful links! I checked around and I think the closest fly shop is about an hour north in Jacksonville so I will inquire about lessons there. Just for some background, I have saltwater fished my whole life with spinning outfits, and offshore outfits. I know the general fish that are in these waters(redfish, trout, flounder, jacks, etc inshore and snapper, mahi, cobia, kingfish, etc offshore and bream, large mouth bass, and carp in the pond I fish in) so I am gonna look mostly into the best ways to catch these fish. I really wish we had Rainboow Trout around here, but I am planning to get up to North Carolina hopefully in the next year to follow a lifelong dream to get up there and trout fish in the mountains.

I will also say that just practicing with my panfish set up, I have gone out twice to the pond not expecting to catch anything, and while I haven't landed anything, I have gotten multiple bream hits and one huge grass carp hit on my little popper bug. Seeing something grab that bug is about as exciting as fishing gets!