View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

Here in Alaska I see more people using excessive weight - plastic salmon egg beads - and large indicators with fly rods & reels, line, etc. Whenever I see this type I wish they were using spinning gear.

There is nothing wrong with spinning gear. I started fishing by using a throw line and when I got a Shakespeare bait casting rod and a closed 999 reel I thought I had entered the space age. There are many types of conditions where a spin casting rod and proper lures make a whole lot more sense than piling weight onto flies and leaders in an attempt to get to the correct depth.

When I began fishing the Great Lakes rivers and creeks I had a very brief go with weights and chuck & duck fishing. It was so not like fly casting that the rig lasted but one hour. Since that lesson I learned that not all water is conducive to fly fishing and if I were to go to a place where the only logical way to fish were with a spinning rod and a spinning lure I would gladly use one or abstain from fishing.

Nothing wrong with those rods & reels,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;