View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

For the most part, I've been fly rod only since 1968.
Spin fishing is just not enjoyable to me. Sure, you're still out there fishin' but it's a hollow pleasure compared to fly casting.

I started fly fishing in saltwater in the mid 70s
At the time I wasn't aware of anyone else fishing this way and in fact I was told that you couldn't catch saltwater fish on flies and I was wasting my time.
I did it anyway.
I did it because I didn't like using spin and conventional gear and I wasn't about to compromise just because it was logical way to go.
I fish for my own fun and for me that means with a fly rod.... only.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Here's the thing
If you're going to continue using your spinning gear as a crutch then you might as well give up fly fishing altogether.
You're not going to get any better.
Going back to "old reliable" instead of fly fishing your way through a tough situation won't help you learn how to deal with adverse conditions.

Hide your spin gear in the closet and only fish fly and you'll be far better off.