View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Strike Indicators

Hello Greg... Welcome to the forum

The answer to your question kinda depends on a few things. You didn't mention if you were using a nymph or a streamer.

If you're using a streamer, then no, you don't need an indicator. Just cast it out, strip it in, keep the line tight, and you'll feel the strike.

Now... if you're using a nymph then you may need an indicator. Some folks don't even use indicators for nymphing. They'll only use the end of the fly line floating on top as their indicator. The anglers that have a lot of success with this are usually well seasoned vets at nymphing.

I personally like using a strike indicator while nymphing. I think I would miss far too many strikes without it... especially in faster moving water. So, I would suggest trying one.

Yes... you can make your own out a a pc of yarn. Keep it small... as small as you can and it still float and you can still see it. If its too big it might spook the fish. I recommend using green yarn... looks like a leaf. Now, the indicator must float well... so you can put some dry fly floatant on it and should do fine.

So... you've now been assigned your homework. Try that and get back with us and let us know how it worked.

Steve