View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 AM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Yellowstone Lake Thorofare

Rich Osthoff's book Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry has a great little chapter about the Thorofare. He also describes the lake-run cutthroat spawn in the Thorofare to be absolute paradise and how to fish it. But the book was written in 1998 and doesn't account for the huge drops in the spawning surge up into the area. But he does talk about a great strain of resident cutts in the Thorofare and Bridger Lake.

As for wildlife, this area is core grizzly country. The "Thorofare" area is not in YNP and you do not need a permit to camp. It's just regular National Forest Designated Wilderness, and is about 6-7 miles south of Yellowstone Lake right at the park boundary. I've been meaning to hike into the Thorofare for some years now. But after I found out about the Yellowstone Lake problems, I've kind of given up on it until the lake cutts rebound a little better.

Last edited by countr21; 07-13-2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: fix error