View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scandi or skagit

I spent yesterday afternoon with all seven lines I own for my two Scott Switch rods. This or tomorrow afternoon I plan to do the same with my two Spey rods. After yesterday's session, I can agree with most everything posted. But I'll stress a couple of points. Skagits (and Scandis, to a lesser extent) send the fly out a long ways. But, all that running line has to be retrieved before you can make another cast.

The mid-bellies (read Delta Spey) don't send the line as far (for me, yet) but I can pick up almost where in the retrieve and make another cast. The timing on these lines is an issue, it has to be more precise for things to work as they should. I need a lot more practice, but I like what I do with the Deltas.

Someone said, "Learn with a Scandi." I think that is good advice. It has some of the attributes of the Skagit and the Delta. If you can make a decent cast with a Scandi, you won't be that far off with the others.

This is the only thing I've ever done in the fishing world that is almost as much fun as fishing. It is fascinating (and often frustrating). But, it is also pretty easy to figure out what is going wrong. This site provides a lot of help.