View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 10:08 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
For the most part, I've been fly rod only since 1968.
Spin fishing is just not enjoyable to me. Sure, you're still out there fishin' but it's a hollow pleasure compared to fly casting.

I started fly fishing in saltwater in the mid 70s
At the time I wasn't aware of anyone else fishing this way and in fact I was told that you couldn't catch saltwater fish on flies and I was wasting my time.
I did it anyway.
I did it because I didn't like using spin and conventional gear and I wasn't about to compromise just because it was logical way to go.
I fish for my own fun and for me that means with a fly rod.... only.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Here's the thing
If you're going to continue using your spinning gear as a crutch then you might as well give up fly fishing altogether.
You're not going to get any better.
Going back to "old reliable" instead of fly fishing your way through a tough situation won't help you learn how to deal with adverse conditions.

Hide your spin gear in the closet and only fish fly and you'll be far better off.
This post captures my feelings the best on this subject. Working your way through a tough situation , conditions etc is what makes you a better fly guy. Similar to Rip I was SW fly fishing when no one else seemed to be and many times the same went for FW fishing . I enjoyed the challenge and it definitely taught me more about fly fishing as well as my quarry .
With that being said I've known some beyond great spin and gear fisherman who at any time could pick up a fly rod and probably be just as great. But they chose not to and that is their choice and preference and I respect them for it.
Many times they have stated that they learned things from me but at the same time they have taught me and helped me refine my own methods by things that they do .
One of my closest friends is a commercial pin hooker( he makes his living with a rod and reel) and his knowledge of SW fish is second to none. Many times when Im having a drought in the salt I could call on him for info or just go out with him and always turn things around through his knowledge! And yes he has fly fished with me and enjoyed it but gear is his game and he's exceptional at it.
So even though my passion is fly fishing I realize that there are some fantastic gear guys out there and I respect there ability and their right to chose.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

If you ever want to know your truly addicted and get very strange stares try showing up on the Channel 2 Bridge(on top) in Islamorada with fly rods!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser