View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 04:56 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Dyeing with acid dyes

Today i went with some acid dyes from a new source. Instead of the previously used Jacquard, i went with Cushing Perfection Acid dye, this time in Rose Pink.
I"m always turned off by the garish 'fluorescent pink' hackles i see in stores and online, and wanted something softer.
I picked up three dyes, enough in each for one pound of material, for $13 shipped.
I bought two shades of pink (aqualon pink & rose pink), and one sky blue.
Today i dyed with rose pink. The primary reason for the pink, as mentioned, was the monstrosity of the colors available. I want to tie a 'pink ghost' with hackles that dont look like they've been treated with uranium.
So, to test, i bought a nice whiting hen saddle ($10), with the idea i could use the hackle for soft hackle flies and for steelhead flies too.

SO the result is as below.
White to Rose Pink whiting hen saddle.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

THe difference between dyeing with the cushing's dyed and the jacquard dyes is the order things are added to the dye bath.
Jacqard is as follows:
Hot water
Dissolve dye
Add material
Allow dye to be absorbed by material
Add acid
Rinse and dry

With Cushing:
Boil water
Dissolve dye (with these dyes you can vary the shade of the dye by adding more or less powder to the bath)
Add acid
Add material
simmer until the dye bath becomes clear (all the dye absorbed by the material)
Rinse and dry

Both methods are good, and ill be continuing with Jacqard and cushings in future. Cushings had the pink shades i was after. The rose pink is slightly darker than the aqualon.

I might also get a nice light dun saddle to dye a light pink, as some of carrie stevens hackles had that shade.

Addicted To Vise