View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 PM
random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's the Deal with Native Brookies

They are one of the more baffling of 'trout'.

I know a couple of small streams where they won't take a fly and I have many fishless days to prove it to myself. Played the 'game of nods' with an 8" brooking in a pool for maybe 4 hours once. Threw everything I had at him, form #20 sparce dries to a #2 muddler... he came out form under his rock to carefully examine each and every fly, the first time threw my boxes. Never once even hinted at a take. Funny thing was when I started on round two of the flies I have on me, he didn't didn't budge for the ones he was only half interested in the first time. Flipped up a log; found a worm; stripped a #12 nymph... He slammed it withing 2 seconds of it hitting the water.

Conversely, I know another slightly larger stream where brookies are actually sort of annoying. I fish that stream for it's resident population of 8" - 12", light, streamline browns.

I've seen them turn their nose up at everything in a manner that would do a life-long Parisian proud. I have also seen them basically throw themselves at my feet.

(For me, brookies basically make less sence than some of my ex's... . They sure do taste good though.)

Thing I find most interesting about them is that they have been much less the subject of study and scrutiny as compared to the rest of the 'trout' clan. Yes, I do know they are char. They swim like a trout, eat like a trout, eat what trout it, live where trout live, act like trout - trout enough for me.

The other weird thing about them is the biggest ones are most often found in habitats which also support Northern Pike.
I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.