View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pat's Rubberlegs

great thread...staple pattern in Co...especially the S Platte...I think where its originator is known for (Pat Dorsey) a very respected angler ...

great success for me as a top fly in a dropper rig. and I like to tie the dropper off at the eye of the hook rather than the hook to allow for what was mentioned earlier...a bit more of a tumbling effect. It imitates a stone or even salmon fly that lost its way...LOL...big trout love big bugs...

I like a hot wire or red copper j as the dropper fly...say size 18, with the PRL in size 6-8...maybe 20 inches of tippet between.I tie the cinch knot over on the eye of the lead bug to help imitate that flailing action.(trying to get more sideways movement) bugs dont flail in perfect streamline style while drifting downstream... in tailwaters a scud can also be a good partner with this ...

I think the batting average is about 50/50 as to which bug gets the grab...greatest thing about this bug is that its an easy tie...but the big PRL also works pretty well as an attractor too. those legs bouncing around look pretty real I would imagine.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/