View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I'm falling in love with my spin rod!

I have a spin outfit and no amount of fly snobbery is going to make me feel guilty when I use it. I prefer fly most of the times but spin fishing is the other side of the coin, the same coin I love so much anyway. I have about ten 1-2 ounce Yozuri's and an absolute sweet as pie St. Croix 7' Avid surf rod mated to a Stradic Ci4 4000 loaded with 20lb Suffix 882. The thing I enjoy about this set up is it's light as can be, I seem to take it far less seriously and I love my expensive plastic lures. I can also cast it into the next zip code. When all else fails, it's the only outfit I have that lets me cast live eels with a buddy of mine that fishes bait from time to time.

Moral of the story is I try not to limit the fun I can have. Life is too short for that nonsense. If the occasional spin trip brings me fun then so be it. I let a fly friend of mine cast it a couple of times one night and he quickly handed it back to me. He said if he had a set up like that, he just might give up fly fishing. I told him that the light salt rig is more like a flyrod than anything else just to make him feel better.