View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Bamboo and bluegills

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailfly View Post
I'm just getting into fly fishing so I'm pretty ignorant of anything to do with it,
so keep that in mind lol . I had a chance some years back to buy a very nice bamboo rod from a guy and didn't because I didn't fly fish, wish I would have now.
Is there anything wrong with using a bamboo rod ? Just curious I think I heard somewhere that they were a good rod.
Kim Toth
Been looking into this; what I have found:

Generally bamboos are a much slower action than graphites and don't generate the line speed graphites do.

Biggest enemy of bamboos are storing them wet, damp or dirty and carefulnessly-challanged owners.

There are some potential ferrule issues which start out small but progress quickly and can snap the bamboo at the ferrule. Loose ferrules don't seem that hard to address nor dangerous if you catch them early.

There are a boat load of fishable bamboos out there, both old and new. With the older ones, you just have to go over them well making sure everything is tight be fore they are used. Seems like a good, ready to go bamboo rod can be had for just a few hundred. There are lots of old bamboos and not so many of them are they super rare/expensive models most desired by collectors.

Don't know much first hand, but I am pretty good with researching.