View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What's the Deal with Native Brookies

Most of my fishing is for brook trout. OK....I live and fish in just about the best region in the world for brook trout. There are no perch, bluegill, bass etc in my region. 90% of the lakes and streams only have brook trout....no other fish species so the trout must eat insects and the occasional amphibian or animal. Yes....the fishing is easy However, finding large trout over 15 inches is difficult because the past fishing practices have reduced the number of large trout and this part of the population of trout has been replaced by smaller trout. In effect, the capacity of the habitat to support trout has remained the same (about 14 kg per hectare) but the average size has diminished while the overall population has increased. This is due to the fact that people kept the larger trout and released the smaller trout.

Anyway, most of the time, the fishing for brook trout is fast and furious. A 20 trout limit can sometimes take less than 30 minutes.

Other times, the trout won't touch anything. When I do any stream fishing and I have caught a few trout from one spot yet I know that there are other fish in that same spot, I change my fly to something completely opposite of what I was using. So that small dark nymph is changed for a large lighter coloured dry fly or nymph. After a while, it's best to move and come back a few hours later.

Brook trout spend all their time fleeing from enemies so any vibration (footsteps) or visible movement will spook them.