View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bamboo and bluegills

My first fly rod was a Japanese bamboo.... cost all of 3 dollars new in 1963 and I still have most of the pieces.
IMO the 9 footers are too heavy to use comfortably. You might take it along for a little fun, but I don't think that you'd want to use one all day.
I also have an 8 1/2 foot Japanese rod that was my father's first fly rod and I use that one often. It's a 6wt as was the one I had as a kid
I rebuilt it with new guides and a re-purposed nickle silver reel seat and it casts pretty darn well for a old cheap POS.

You'll find that most of these rods were 6wts or maybe a heavier "bass weight" 7. There's not a lot of variation
You'll need heavy reel to balance it out too.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Will be watching this thread. Was wondering the same thing. Just recently pulled an old Heddon out of my closet. Have decided to fish it, but I am not willing to really push the rod, yet.
Bamboo is tough. You could probably run over it with your car and not break it
Try that with a plastic rod !