View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about adding a rod to my trout fishing quiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
I know this is totally personal preference, but it's still fun to discuss. Talking Montana rivers, lakes and streams, right now, not counting a number of old rods I rarely fish anymore, my go-to Rods are a 7.5' 3 wt. Winston WT, a 9' 4 wt. San Francisco Scott G Series and a new 9' 5 wt. Sage Z-Axis.
Nice quiver. You just need a streamer rod for the heavier payloads (think line, leader, and fly combination) that your Z can't cover.

Quote:
Growing up fishing fiberglass for almost 30 years before my first graphite rod, I'm a slow-medium action rod guy by nature, but every time I fish with a guide (maybe twice a year), he insist I use his fast action rods. That's why I bought the Z-Axis. I don't really enjoy lobbing weighted nymphs, preferring to use a nymph dropper off a dry fly, but I will do the nymph with sinker thing when I have to. For some reason, maybe because I never really learned the technique, I don't streamer fish much, but I'd like to learn that.
As for the casting part of it, a good caster can adjust his or her stroke to match the action of a rod.

As for learning how to streamer fish, it does not hurt to know how. Once you figure it out, it will be a valuable tool in your arsenal.

Quote:
So, realizing that what I have now would work well for 90% of Montana trout situations, I would kind of like to add a graphite six weight to the quiver. I'm thinking it would be a dual purpose rod, big trout windy conditions on the Big Hole River or same thing on Duck Lake up on the Blackfeet Reservation. Also something for streamers. Would a medium action rod like an old Scott G series or new G2 work well or do I need to go fast action? I've been ebaying a couple weeks and got out bid on two old Scott 906 rods, still looking, but am willing to open my mind to other brands, weights or lengths.
This is where the personal preference part comes in. I prefer the faster rod. It has more butt to handle the loads from heavier payloads. It will throw line better in the wind.

If you look around hard enough, you can find Scott S4 rods on clearance. They are being discontinued for a newer model. I am a Sage Z-Axis owner, but I would rather own a Scott S4 if I was going to use it as a streamer rod.

Quote:
Thanks, John
You are welcome.