Thread: Switch Rod
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch Rod

If you have a fly shop near you that has 2 handed rods in stock, it would be worth your time to pay them a visit. Remember, you'll need a bigger reel to line up plus you'll need to figure out the line that works best on your rod given the type of casting and size of flies you'll be using. Not trying to discourage you from getting a switch, just keep in mind there are costs beyond the rod itself. Perhaps that's why you've set a budget for $400 or perhaps you've already got a reel to use?

Beyond those costs, it is a good game plan to figure out how you want to fish it because lines for rods and your particular use of it can be hit and miss. Learn the grain window of your rod and figure out whether you'll be scandi casting or skagit casting. If you're not sure, maybe a switch line or a line like Ambush will work to get you started. Just know that the more work you do on the front end to dial your self in will pay dividends later. This includes reading up on all things spey/switch. Hence my suggestion to go to a shop!

I've heard Redington has a 2 hander under $300 coming out soon though not sure of the details. Lots of folks seem to like TFO and Redington. Don't overlook Beulah either. I've heard the classic series was based on input/design by Bob Meiser. Google him to learn more about him.

Something else to think about, will you be overhand casting with it? If so, a smaller rod might be more ideal because it will be easier to cast both ways. The trade off is it may be harder to learn 2 handed casting--so some more experienced than me say. One and TCX are almost considered baby spey rods since they're over 11'. My rod is the same as Wanna's--a 6110 Z Axis. Fun to cast 2 handed but less fun doing overhand with.

Having said all this, if you liked your buddy's setup, why not ask him which model and try and get something similar? Perhaps he can show you a thing or two and or may have mentioned the things I've mentioned in my lengthy response.

Hopefully fredaevans sees your post and will chime in, he's been 2 handed casting for a while and is loaded with solid info that I'm sure he'd be willing to share. Good luck on your hunt, have fun and please let us know what you end up doing.