View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crappie with a Fly Rod?

Generally I do the majority of my Crappie fishing in the spring but I really enjoy catching them on summer nights when they move close to shore and feed. When there is an evening caddis hatch all heck can break loose when they go on a feeding frenzy where every cast will envoke a strike! Also it seems that the bigger fish tend to feed by shore in the evening and when no hatch is on they tend to slurp your offerings leaving no telltale sign of a hit. Generally if you dont react quickly to this gentle take the Crappie will have spit your fly before you can set the hook making it that more challenging!
The bonus aspect of targeting them at night is the Largemouth Bass that many times feed in the same shallow water at this time! Many a night I have got a mess of Crappies with a nice big LM in the mix!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser