View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pat's Rubberlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Yep, killer fly and so easy to tie. It is my go-to point fly for double nymph rigs. Wrap a lot of lead on that shank and don't be afraid to vary the chenille color ... but also don't get caught up in it. If it ain't broke...

Anyone fish these small, like #14 or smaller? Just curious because I never have, I stick to tying them large.
I'll tie mine in various sizes, and I've actually had some pretty good luck on 14s on a SUPER SECRET creek outside of Missoula Might be the fish though (Oh well). One great thing about tying your own flies is varying it up a bit from a shop bin. My bigger ones I'll throw on some legs reserved for streamers, leave 'em long, and let them undulate in the riffles. My thought being, most bugs aren't too keen floating mid-height, and are scuttling trying to get to safety. I've picked a few up with that pattern in the dead of winter, and it might not be the reason for the strike, but it makes me feel better if I think I had something to do with it.