View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Crappie with a Fly Rod?

Thanks for the comments about my flies! I have other boxes chock full of "bugs" for Bluegills. Even a few soft hackles!

Jon, your question is like asking whether a light spinning rod would be better than a ultra light for those panfishes, if you can relate to that. Both will work, but the light action rod would be a little more than you need if the fish are on the smaller side. You could still catch a lot of Bluegills or Crappies with either one & have a blast. The ultra light gives you a little more edge with smaller weights or lures, and the light gives you more rod if you hook something bigger.

A 6 wt is a good general purpose rod, and has the advantage of allowing you to go a little bigger with the flies if you decide you want to chase bass or even carp. No single rod will be perfect for all fishes, just as no single spinning, baitcasting or trolling rod is ideal for all.

I like to use a 3 or 4 wt for some of the bluegills & other panfishes around my area when they're my primary target, and either can handle the occasional small bass, or bigger Crappies or Perch. I also like them for some small streams where there are both panfishes & bass, but the bass are also small, usually 12" or smaller.

If I'm targeting bass, but happy catching the panfishes, then my 6 wt is what I'll use.

I've caught quite a few bass on a 6 wt & even some Striped bass up to 30", but I've caught a lot more Bluegill's, Crappies & perch with it, and had fun doing it.

If you're content with smaller fish, then a 3 to 5 wt would likely be a better choice than the 6 wt. The 6 wt just gives you a little more rod if you get the opportunity to chase something a bit bigger.

There's no wrong answer to which rod would be best, and all in that 3 to 6 range are fine for panfish. Just goes back to my analogy about the spinning rods.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!