Thread: Bamboo Rods
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bamboo Rods

I finished two bamboo blanks from the Angler's Roost, a 7'6" 4wt, and a 9' Payne 5/6wt. I particularly like the 7'6" rod, casts and roll-casts well and has landed trout north of 20". If you do a google search for 'Anglers roost bamboo review' you'll get positive and negative discussions. I think they are a great place to start. They've gotten me interested blanks sold by domestic builders and also considering ordering some culms myself. I can't speak to the components on the finished ones he sells.

As for fishing bamboo, first time I cast the 7'6" 4wt I felt the rod bend into the grip and I knew it was different than graphite I don't know that I can give a clear pro/con list other than to say that I enjoy having bamboo rods as an option to fish when the mood strikes. It is a different feel and there is something about fishing with the sort of rod people have been using for a long, long time. Also something about fishing a natural material that is very beautiful. As for cons, they might require a bit more maintenance, though I also leave my graphite rods out to dry over night, etc etc.

Don't forget the option of either ordering a blank and finishing it yourself or seeing if a rod builder in your area would do it for you. You could pick your wrap colors, grip style, hardware finish, etc etc that could make it a more personal fishing rod.