View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Boulder River on Sat, Yellowstone River Sunday

I took a break from the Yellowstone the last couple of days and went high on one of the Paradise Valley tributaries, catching 6-15 inch cutthroats by the dozens on big fluffy dry flies. (Way more of them were closer to 6 inches than were close to 15, but I did catch one 15 incher and enough over 12 inches to keep things interesting.) Had a friend with me today up there, and he said, "Well, I don't think anybody would make a trip to Montana just to do this kind of fishing, but it sure is fun once in a while." Had to try out my new Sage 3 wt...at least that's my excuse.

Had a funny thing happen right next to the house the other day. There's a gradually widening side channel next to the house, and for a while it had enough water to attract a few of the guides to go down it instead of the main channel. It's now getting a little too low to do so (and I can finally wade across it easily). But there were two guys in a small raft that came down it late in the morning, and the angler hooked a very nice brown in a little eddy. I watched him play it to the net, and it looked to be 18-20 inches. Late that afternoon I decided to do a little fishing, and drifted a nymph through that eddy, and caught a 19 inch brown. Now it's a tiny little eddy, and I wouldn't think there would be two browns that size in it. Think that fish was caught twice in the same day?