Thread: Bamboo Rods
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 AM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Re: Bamboo Rods

I have an old, unmarked bamboo rod about 7'6". It casts fairly well with a 7wt dt line. I've caught some fish on it, and it's fun to use now and then.
That said, if I'm going to spend a whole day out fishing, I go with graphite. Lighter weight, easier casting, less worrying about breaking something.
It's kind of like the difference between having some fun shooting an antique black powder cap and ball revolver, or a modern stainless steel hi capacity semi auto pistol. Both can be a pleasure to use, but when things get serious, I prefer the more modern option.
Pros ? Pride of ownership, unique feel, craftsmanship, vintage chic, etc.
Cons ? Could get pretty pricey for something you're not sure you want. If you have friends with bamboo rods, you may get to try a few before you invest in one.