View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Crappie with a Fly Rod?

Super heat wave in PA all this week! But, at twilight it's so comfy sitting in my float tube. This lake was 81 today at the surface!

The crappie seem to holdup at the weed edge in about 12' to 15' of water. I've been catchin' pretty good with tiny jigs on my UL spin, but I can't wait until my Helios is fixed and sent back to me!

Every twilight, there must be 10,000 Bluegills and 5,000 White Perch at the surface! As soon as I get my flyrod back ....... I think I might have a sore arm for a while!

Final outcome:

With my spin rod, I can catch a dozen nice crappie (good eating from a clean lake)

With my fly rod, I can catch >100 panfish ('gills and perch, maybe a crappie) also good eating? if I want to keep any?

I could use my 5wt or my 6wt, but I think I'll stay with my spin until my Helios arrives. After you fish with a great fly rod, you won't want to fish with anything else ...... and I just spent some $ on a new UL spin outfit!

Click the image to open in full size.