Thread: Redington Link?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Redington Link?

This past April I spent both a week in the Mexican Baja chasing roosters and a day on North Carolina's Roanoke dredging stripers with a 9wt Link and was very happy with it. Handled the southern surf wind, a 350 grain sinking line, and some stubborn fish quite nicely. I definitely liked it as a big rod. Don't know how that translates to the smaller weights but I'd be interested in what you find out. (Love my old 4wt CPS).

Furnacefella's point about price range is interesting. My thought is that I use a big rod somewhat seldom so don't wish to drop $800 on one, but, at the same time, I believe you can get away with a cheaper small rod easier than with a cheaper big rod. Throwing the big boys will flat wear you out so using a better rod translates to a more pronounced improvement at +8wt, IMHO.

For the big guns, the Link seems like a great compromise of price and performance - not that I'm in any way suggesting that the performance isn't top-notch.

Full disclosure, I'm a big Redington fan...

Mike

Last edited by Sep; 07-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.