View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all
Default Re: Time To 'Fess Up...

Way back when, guiding for steelhead I kept two gue-sticks around just in case things weren’t going according to plan. Late in the day, if the scoreboard still showed a goose egg, you might be surprised at how many self proclaimed fly only guys willingly picked up the gue. Seems for many, the tug really is the drug.

I also remember a trip to a central American s.w. lodge, where it just wasn’t happening. Better than half the group opted to go with the lodges offer to use their hardware.
(...they had the gear to use on hand. What did they know, that they weren't disclosing in their brochure ? )
Some of those that resisted the urge for the surge, went for long boat rides punctuated with futile fly casting practice, while others used the remaining days to go on photo tours.

Sage builds spinning and casting rods too, so where’s the stigma?

I have always had casting rods rigged for tossing steel and jigs when I head for the bays and ocean out here and if you walked into our den, you’d find four very nice spinning outfits standing ready. We even keep two large clear fly boxes, jammed packed with spinners that have all had their trebles removed and replaced with dressed single barbless siwash hooks, so that our non-fly fishing guests may fish the single barbless, artificial waters with us.

TT