View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM

j lee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smallmouth gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I've used from 3 wt's up to 8 wt's for Smallies, based simply on the waters size & the size flies I want to use. Generally these 2 considerations limit the size of the fish, and even the occasional bruiser is not a problem, no matter what rod wt I might be using. That's fishing!

There's really no right or wrong to it & often it's just a matter of personal preference. For the majority of the places I've fished for them, I go with a 8'6" 6 wt that I've had for many years. (Cabela's Gary Borger Signature model, no longer made.)

No matter what you decide to try, there's always going to be conditions, situations & fish size that won't fit the rod. It's always a compromise no matter how much thought we put into it.

Frankly, you would probably be fine with what you have. Of course, sometimes we all need an excuse to buy another rod!
All I need is an excuse. A 6 is all I probably need for my area. Now the shopping fun begins.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I personally like a fast 6wt or a mod/fast 7wt that is 9' long. Some of my favorite flies for (river) smallies are clousers and deer hair poppers. Each have either some weight to them or some wind resistant bulk that can make casting a challenge on something too slow for me.
Gonna start the search for probably a good 6 wt.