View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 PM

caberguy is just really nicecaberguy is just really nicecaberguy is just really nicecaberguy is just really nice
Default Cabelas TLr 13' 8wt question

So, during the feeding frenzy over the Cabelas TLr discounts earlier today I picked up the aforementioned 13' 8wt... and have been doing some research on it.

I noticed that early last year siskiyoublues posted here and elsewhere that he had been in contact with Cabelas customer service and was given a grain window of 202-218. This, of course, is less than half the grain weight you'd expect for an 8wt Spey.

On another forum somebody responded that: "Cabela's information was fairly accurate. The designations on the TLR 6wt and 8wt switch rods are AFTMA line designations. Actually, the 8wt has a slightly broader grain window than what Cabela's suggests, in the neighborhood of 200-300 grains or about the equivalent of a 4/5 spey. The 6wt is very fine and would probably break on the first cast loaded with a #6 spey line, it is about the equivalent of a 2/3 spey. Both the TLR (6 and 8wt) make nice trout rods, and the 8wt might be fine for light steelhead but wouldn't be my first choice for an all-round steelhead rod."

On the other hand, SA lists a recommendation of 600 Skagit and 520 Scandi for that rod (http://www.scientificanglers.com/spe...hartmaster.pdf)

Any real world experience?