View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Caddis flies for other fish than trout ?

I use all sorts of wet caddis patterns for bass and panfish. The flies range in size from 10-14 and most all have different ingredients.

In general they have a body dubbed with a blend of a sparkly synthetic and either rabbit or squirrel, in colors ranging from yellow tan to black. I will use a few soft hackle fibers for a under wing and then a few antron fibers on top of that for some sparkle. They are all generally finished off with a few wraps of soft hackle, usually either speckled hen or partridge. I'll add a wire rib sometimes, make the abdomen wire sometimes, sometimes use a darker color for the thorax, and sometimes add a tail. (making it not really a caddis pattern.

I know these instructions are kinda vague and general, but I've gotten to the point in my tying where I know stuff that works and I just kinda build from there, with no set recipe. Come to think of it I cook the same way. Thinking further, I'm usually drinking a fine adult beverage when creating both as well. Coincidence? I just find recipes of all sorts kinda boring and limiting.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.