View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Click reel - Battenkill or Drift?

I have two Drift reels, a 3/4 and a 5/6. I've had the 5/6 for 4 years now and can say that it is a durable, well-made reel. It has dealt smoothly with two foot browns, large suckers, and at least one 10 lb. catfish.

The 3/4 I just recently picked up for my new 3 wt, and it feels very good while casting. It also has put up with 3 battles with 20+ inch browns and one 19 inch bow already this year, so I can safely say that the reel is mechanically sound.

And at just under a hundred bucks, I feel they are a very good bang-for-your-buck reel. As long as you understand that the drag is a click-and-pawl, and that you have to learn to either slow the fish with judicious use of a rod hand finger, or learn the art of palming.

As for me, I leave the drag set in the middle on both reels all the time.

I'm sure the orvis reel is a good one as well, I just don't have any experience with a 3 wt. version.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark