View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Click reel - Battenkill or Drift?

I have two Drift reels, a 3/4 and a 5/6. I've had the 5/6 for 4 years now and can say that it is a durable, well-made reel. It has dealt smoothly with two foot browns, large suckers, and at least one 10 lb. catfish.

The 3/4 I just recently picked up for my new 3 wt, and it feels very good while casting. It also has put up with 3 battles with 20+ inch browns and one 19 inch bow already this year, so I can safely say that the reel is mechanically sound.

And at just under a hundred bucks, I feel they are a very good bang-for-your-buck reel. As long as you understand that the drag is a click-and-pawl, and that you have to learn to either slow the fish with judicious use of a rod hand finger, or learn the art of palming.

As for me, I leave the drag set in the middle on both reels all the time.

I'm sure the orvis reel is a good one as well, I just don't have any experience with a 3 wt. version.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark