View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: your thoughts on synthetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
On the flip side of the coin, in salt situations I find the synthetics to be superior. Deer hair simply doesn't hold up very well in the surf.

Mike
Especially if you have toothy bluefish. They rip apart flies with feathers and bucktail. I'd rather use natural materials in the salt, but constantly changing flies that are tied to wire tippet is a PITA
A lot of the finer synthetics will mat and foul too.

Last year I saw a tying video of a caddis dry that had a synthetic underwing.
It was pretty sharp looking but I believe the actual purpose of which was to help it float
I have lots of the synthetic "near hair" that's really not good for much good for anything else so I started experimenting with all synthetic dry flies

The good news is, with just the lightest pinch of floatant they're unsinkable.
You pull them under and they pop up like cork every time.
The bad news was that the fish didn't "love" them, so I'll need to "tweak" a bit more.
It could be that they floated TOO well