Thread: Thread coloring
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread coloring

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Being new to fly tying and not wanting to speed too much $ on the materials.
I colored my flat waxed white thread with red permanent marker.

My questions are
1. Will the red color stay on the thread? My thought is 'no.'
2. I watched some fly tying videos where the finished flies were colored heavily by permanent markers. Will the odor from the markers deter fish away? My answer again is 'no'
But that aside, what is 'not good' is putting on some 'chemical' into a fly. Fish have a VERY good sense of smell. As an example, I haven't used 'after shave' for probably close to 40 years.

Even think about what you use as soap in the shower before you go fishing. Best is to just take some 'river dirt/sand' and scrub down your hands when you get there.

Just more random thoughts.