View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap backing or substitute

I've been deep into the backing often, but only twice was I ever surprised about it.
Once I hooked something that smoked line off the reel so fast that I was nearly spooled in seconds before the tippet popped. I never did figure out what that was all about.
The second time (and this is why you should have backing) I was fishing in a quite little stream here in CT when I foul-hooked a larger than normal trout in the tail end. Because of the way it was hooked, that fish was able to strip off a bunch of line. And while it didn't go all that far into the backing I would have had trouble if I didn't have any at all.